Thursday, December 11, 2014

The 80/20 Rule for Social Media Advertising

So, I'm getting my real estate business ramped up and I'm looking for people on that offer insights and suggestions for real estate agents and I come across an outfit that looks like a possibility.  But I discover that 80-90% of their posts are merely promotional -- Only two days left to sign up..., Here's what you missed at our seminar…, etc. -- so I move on.  Why?  Because I want information, not a stream of sales pitches.  The thing is, there's LOTS of people out there using that very same approach.

Here's a tip for those who want to use social media to promote their business: Don't use it for direct promotion.  Instead, use it as a platform to display expertise and insight.  Instead of 80/20 promotion/insight, do 80/20 insight/promotion.

Social media is not supposed to be the online equivalent of highway billboards.  And unfortunately it is rapidly becoming the next incarnation of the the old interrupt-and-repeat advertising model (the previous incarnation being television and radio advertising).  People go to social media to get away from all that, not to find another way to receive it.

Just my 2¢.

No comments:

Post a Comment